I really like reading about what tools and products others use. I typically like to see interviews with people I know of in the tech industry, but other industries are interesting as well. This page isn’t an interview, it is just a list of my tools and products of choice. I split it by personal/work, though there is definitely overlap.
At some point I’ll add amazon links where relevant. Click those when you buy since they’re referral links ;)
- MacBook Pro 2017 13” non-touchbar. Primary computer; both docked and laptop use.
- Thinkpad X1 Carbon 4th gen (2016). Gentoo Linux w/ luks+zfs rootfs. Also used for work stuff. Secondary machine. Laptop-use exclusively.
- PC. Self-build i7-920 @ 3.8ghz (OC), 24gb DDR3-1066 Ram @ 1600, win10 - pretty much only used for games.
- 27” Dell P2715q 4k display
- 24” Samsung 16:10 1920x1200 display
- Unicomp Customizer 104 keyboard (IBM Model M factory produced keyboard with buckling springs, mod-4, and usb)
- Logitech G710s Mouse
- Logitech 720p webcam
- Blue Snowball usb microphone
I plug the macbook and the pc into a usb hub which can be switched via a rosewill 4-computer sharing switch. My keyboard, mouse, headphone amp, webcam, yubikey 5, and blue snowball mic are plugged into the hub.
- APU2 based pfSense router
- TP-Link 28-port managed desktop switch
- Unifi AP Pro accesspoint
- Raspberry Pi2 - Unifi Controller
- Self-built FreeNAS box - Xeon E3-1225 v6, 16gb DDR4 ram, 18tb (3x 6tb) WD Red in RAIDZ
- Google Pixel 3 - 64gb, black, T-mobile
- Google Pixel 2 - 32gb?, black, T-mobile (tethering, dev, testing, spare)
- Backpack: Porter Hybrid Daypack
- Wallet: Tanner goods wallet
- Yubikey 5 + usb-a to c adapter
- Freekey keyring
- MacBook Pro 2016 15”. The touchbar is horrible.
- Thinkpad X1 Carbon 4th gen (2016). Gentoo Linux w/ luks+zfs root filesystem
- 24” Dell Professional series 1920x1080 display (or is it 1920x1200?)
- CODE Keyboard w/ cherry mx clear keys
- Apple magic trackpad
- Macbook stand (rain design?)
I’ve been using the thinkpad for the majority of my development, the macbook is mostly used for building iOS apps (Compile) or slack/zoom stuffs.
My dog is an important member of my family. She is a ~25lb Pembroke Welsh Corgi.
- Krugo true-fit harness (s) - the Medium size is way too big for her, she’s on the petite side for corgis
- 36” Midwest crate - she’d be fine with a 30” crate, but she gets the luxury of extra space. There is a 36” crate mat and a bunch of blankets inside.
- … more to come, she has a lot of gear :)